Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tropic Blunder

This is post is not meant to be funny. Tropic Thunder was meant to be funny. In a disrespectful, tasteless, and pretentious manor, this movie makes a mockery of the perils faced by those who have bravely defended the United States. Even worse, they show scenes where they are taken prisoner and tortured. Am I supposed to think this is funny? Am I supposed to think a man having his limbs blown off is amusing, when in real life I see servicemen coming back from the middle east missing arms and legs? I guess it's no big deal these days to laugh at what these guys have done for us. Don't tell me I'm over-reacting to this, that I'm too old school, or that I'm overly sensitive. I can be as mean-spirited as anybody, but I was highly offended by this movie. I gave it a shot and couldn't even finish it. Think of families that have lost loved ones in war. I doubt they would find Tropic Thunder very amusing.
I understand it is supposed to be a silly farce and a spoof of movies like Platoon. They went way too far for my liking. It isn't bad enough Vietnam veterans got shunned and spit on when they came home, now they have to have Nick Nolte portray a character that makes them all look like deranged, bloodthirsty, drugged up, burnouts. How unfair. Hollywood has done justice to Vietnam veterans with films of depth such as Platoon, The Deer Hunter, and most recently Rescue Dawn. These films weren't meant to glorify violence, they portrayed emotional and physical pain with dignity and respect. But I guess Ben Stiller finds those things amusing, as does a good part of the American public. After World War II, no one would have dared to make such a disgraceful movie as Tropic Thunder. To me, Tropic Thunder treats veterans with same regard Johnny Knoxville has for the disabled in his disastrous monstrosity "The Ringer".
I am the first to get annoyed when someone can't take an offensive joke. Tropic Thunder was just to much for me. I sleep safely at night, and wake up every morning in a free nation because of what American servicemen and women have done for me and millions of others. Appreciate where you are.
It is my belief that when something or someone bothers you, the best thing you can do is to ignore it if possible. I have said my peace, and I hope others can see my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment